Cynnig lefel-A nodweddiadol
Hyd y Cwrs
Gwybodaeth ar gyfer mynediad ym mis Medi 2017 sydd ar y dudalen hon. I weld gwybodaeth am 2018, gan gynnwys y graddau gofynnol, edrychwch yn ein prosbectws.
Agriculture is a vocation and way of life. Whether you are interested in animals or crops, upland or lowland, intensive or extensive farming systems, the breadth and depth of teaching in the highly popular Agriculture Foundation Degree at Aberystwyth University, will cater for your needs.
The two year course is taught within the highly prestigious Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences in an area renowned for its agricultural innovation, productivity, diversity and beauty.
Here is why we think that Aberystwyth is a great place for you.
- State-of-the-art teaching that provides you with the practical skills and scientific knowledge base to underpin your future career
- Visits to farms and businesses that lead the industry in innovation and technical know-how
- Work experience as a component of the course
- Progression route to honours degree level
- Study through the medium of Welsh or English.
Athrofa Gwyddorau Biolegol, Amgylcheddol a Gwledig (IBERS): 91% boddhad myfyrwyr (ACF 2017)
97% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio, 3% yn uwch na graddedigion y Gwyddorau Biolegol yn genedlaethol, (DLHE 2017)
- Addysg a Dysgu
- Barn ein Myfyrwyr
Why study Agriculture at Aberystwyth University?
- Taught by enthusiastic teaching experts, who you may have already seen on TV documentaries or your favourite radio show.
- Over 1000ha of farmland, including lowland and upland sheep farms, a 500 cow dairy herd, intensive and extensive beef production systems.
- Out of all of the Oats grown in the UK, 65% come from varieties bred and developed at IBERS Aberystwyth. There is additionally a major Miscanthus biofuel breeding programme.
- Our Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS) received the ''Outstanding Contribution to Innovation and Technology'' award at the 2013 Times Higher Education Awards.
- Our Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences (IBERS) in conjunction with Bangor University had the 5th strongest submission in the UK for the Research Excellence Framework assessment (2014).
Can I progress onto the BSc degree programme?
- Students who successfully complete the Foundation Degree are automatically offered entry into the 2nd year of a suitable degree programme.
Students who demonstrate consistently good performance will be offered entry into the final year of a suitable degree programme.
Want to study in Welsh?
- Some of our modules are taught in Welsh as well as English. If you study through the medium of Welsh you may be eligible for a generous bursary.
Mae gan y rhan fwyaf o staff dysgu Athrofa'r Gwyddorau Biolegol, Amgylcheddol a Gwledig gymwysterau hyd at safon PhD ac maent yn ymchwilwyr gweithgar. Hefyd, mae gan staff y cyrsiau galwedigaethol gefndir ym myd diwydiant. Mae yn yr Athrofa nifer fawr o staff sy'n gwneud ymchwil yn unig ac mae'n bosib y bydd y myfyrwyr yn dod i gysylltiad â hwy.
Noder: Y modiwlau a restrir isod yw'r modiwlau y bwriedir eu cyflwyno ar hyn o bryd yn ystod y flwyddyn academaidd nesaf ac mae'n bosibl y gallant newid. Maent wedi'u cynnwys yma i roi syniad o strwythur y cwrs.
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
What opportunities exist after studying?
Our graduates have progressed and occupy the following occupations:
- Farm Managers
- Agricultural business consultants
- Agricultural policy experts
- Animal nutritionists
- Technical agricultural enterprise managers.
Following a successful Foundation degree you will be encouraged to progress onto one of our honours level degree courses, and you will advised of your options as the course progresses.
Studying for a degree in Agriculture will equip you with a range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers. These include:
• the ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form
• effective problem-solving and creative thinking skills
• the ability to work independently
• time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines
• self-motivation and self-reliance
• team-working, with the ability to discuss concepts in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching agreement
• research skills
Addysg a Dysgu
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the two year programme.
In the first year you may explore:
- The technologies that are increasingly being developed for and adopted by the agricultural industry;
- The factors that influence land use;
- The primary resources required to operate a rural business;
- Identify management requirements of agricultural grassland and cereal crops;
- The scientific principles governing plant and crop growth processes in the field;
- Livestock production systems and their importance for world food production;
- Consider the role of biotechnology in improved physiology and nutrition science.
You will have the opportunity to take part in an eight-week work experience placement between your first and second year on a farm or in an agri – related business.
In the second year you may study further:
- The UK livestock industries;
- The crop production systems and strategies;
- How to analyse, budge and appraise a farm business;
- The ecological impacts of modern food production methodologies;
- Opportunities to gain certificated practical skills and experience in areas such as using a chainsaw a pesticide application.
How will I be taught?
You will be taught through a balanced programme of lectures, seminars and tutorials, workshops, practicals, study tours and demonstrations.
Our assessment methods take various forms including essays, practical reports and exercises, oral presentations, exams, plans, worksheets, field notebooks and case studies.
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
Barn ein Myfyrwyr
The Agriculture course has a great mix of modules which has opened my eyes to many other aspects of agriculture. The information given in lectures on important subjects is usually simple but thorough, which makes work easy to both understand and remember. Farm visits are also enjoyable as it gives you a chance to observe and understand different systems. It's also interesting to hear the views of the farmers and the different ways they implement systems to suit their business. Aled Rhys Lewis
What do I love about Agriculture at Aberystwyth University? The people - students from a wide range of backgrounds, all getting together, sharing experiences and learning together; lecturers with a passion for their subject, who are down to earth and approachable. The place - the green hills, quiet woods, impressive views, and the sea. The course - learning about a topic which is foundational to society; stretching my mind with new knowledge, and shivering out in freezing farmyards (yes, even that has a kind of pleasure to it!). That's what I love about agriculture here. Benjamin David Latham
Gofynion Mynediad Nodweddiadol
Lefel A CC-DDD
Gofynion TGAU (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics or a Science subject
Diploma Cenedlaethol BTEC:
24 points overall
Ystyrir ymgeiswyr yn ôl eu rhinweddau unigol a gall y cynigion amrywio. Am ragor o wybodaeth, cysylltwch ag: email@example.com