Cynnig lefel-A nodweddiadol
BBC-BBB with B in Biology or Human Biology. Candidates taking a science A level with an associated practical skills assessment will also be required to pass the practical component.
Hyd y Cwrs
If you are fascinated by genetics, and want to tackle important scientific issues like the genetic modification of organisms, or genetic prediction of human disease, then this is the scheme for you! On completion of this degree, your career options could span from biomedical research to biotechnology to pharmaceutical industry and careers within Higher Education.
Athrofa Gwyddorau Biolegol, Amgylcheddol a Gwledig (IBERS): 93% boddhad myfyrwyr (ACF 2018)
98% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio, 3% yn uwch na graddedigion y Gwyddorau Biolegol yn genedlaethol, (HESA 2018*)
- We place great emphasis upon practical skills, so that our graduates become practitioners from the word go. This is why 97% of our graduates were in work or further study 6 months after graduation. This figure is 3% higher than Biological Sciences graduates nationally (DLHE, 2017)We ensure that our graduates have the skills to communicate their science effectively, so that they can join the often controversial genetics debates.
- Students in our department have access to research and teaching labs equipped with modern equipment, including bioimaging facilities, high-throughput DNA sequencing, proteomics, metabolomics, phenomics and spectroscopic platforms. These facilities provides students with the opportunity to develop the key skills that employers are seeking.
Want to study in Welsh?
Students can choose to study a number of IBERS modules through the medium of Welsh. Check out the module tab for more information!
Mae gan y rhan fwyaf o staff dysgu Athrofa'r Gwyddorau Biolegol, Amgylcheddol a Gwledig gymwysterau hyd at safon PhD ac maent yn ymchwilwyr gweithgar. Hefyd, mae gan staff y cyrsiau galwedigaethol gefndir ym myd diwydiant. Mae yn yr Athrofa nifer fawr o staff sy'n gwneud ymchwil yn unig ac mae'n bosib y bydd y myfyrwyr yn dod i gysylltiad â hwy.
Noder: Y modiwlau a restrir isod yw'r modiwlau y bwriedir eu cyflwyno ar hyn o bryd yn ystod y flwyddyn academaidd nesaf ac mae'n bosibl y gallant newid. Maent wedi'u cynnwys yma i roi syniad o strwythur y cwrs.
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
Where are our Genetics graduates now?
- Genetic Technologist at Liverpool Women’s Hospital
- Clinical Scientist at Birmingham Women’s Hospital
- Research Scientist at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
- Post-doctoral research Associate at the University of Manchester
- MSc student in Developmental Biology at the University of Bath
- PhD at the University of Leicester
Employability is embedded across all of our teaching in the department.
- We offer our students the opportunities to undertake a Year in Employment Scheme (YES). Some of our students have been successful in obtaining work placements with GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca.
What other work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Addysg a Dysgu
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.
Studying Genetics at Aberystwyth University will allow you to discover the following:
- Cell biology;
- Proteins and enzymes;
- Chromosome genetics;
- Gene expression and development;
- Evolution and population genetics;
You will also receive expert tuition in the following:
- Scientific protocol;
- Hands on lab work;
- Correct experimental methodology for recording, interpreting and reporting data.
How will I be taught?
We deliver our course through lectures, seminars and lab work.
We assess our students through:
- Practical exercises
- Oral presentations
- You may also be required to complete additional assignments and work with others on particular tasks
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
The lectures, seminars and the Department's supportive staff will greatly assist you in your biological training. You will also benefit from the many opportunities within the department and the university to develop your academic rigour and professionalism so that, upon graduation, you are perfectly positioned for the next stage of your career.
Barn ein Myfyrwyr
Genetics is at the cutting edge of the biological sciences. In the post-genomic era, we are able to truly examine our biological programming at a molecular level. What I really enjoy about the course, C400, is that you have the ability to tailor it to your areas of interest, choosing your own combinations of modules which reflect the areas you want to explore most, all the while gaining valuable knowledge and practical experience to help shape your career path. Richard Cleverley
For me, the appeal of genetics is rooted in its universal and diverse nature; it is captivating to consider the fact that every variety of living organism is constructed from a blueprint, written within molecules of DNA. My delight in genetics is intensified by the positive impact its application can have on people’s lives, and with so much still to be discovered, surely the best is yet to come. Studying at Aberystwyth University has facilitated my enjoyment of genetics and has provided the resources that make it possible for me to continue to take pleasure in genetics. Nathan Luke Greenaway
My course at Aberystwyth University prepared me for my PhD by challenging me to understand the core cellular and molecular principles integral to cellular function. What I’ve learned from interacting with other graduates is that the scope of teaching at IBERS is much broader, giving a much better understanding of the fundamentals of biology than other courses
Phil – Studying for PhD at the University of York
My degree in Genetics and Biochemistry gave me a good grounding that prepared me very well for my PhD. In fact, one of the courses, Gene Expression and Developmental Genetics inspired me to work in the area of Developmental Biology, which is what I work at today. I will be eternally grateful for the chance I was given and the teaching I received
Roger – Professor of Neuroscience, University of Copenhagen
Gofynion Mynediad Nodweddiadol
Lefel A BBC-BBB with B in Biology or Human Biology. Candidates taking a science A level with an associated practical skills assessment will also be required to pass the practical component.
Gofynion TGAU (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics and a Science subject
Diploma Cenedlaethol BTEC:
30 points overall with 5 points in Biology at Higher Level
65-70% overall with 75% in specified subject
Mae'r Brifysgol yn gweithredu polisi derbyn cynhwysol a gall ein cynigion amrywio. Edrychwch ar ein tudalennau gwlad-benodol i gael manylion am y cymwysterau rhyngwladol yr ydym yn eu derbyn. I gael rhagor o wybodaeth, cysylltwch ag email@example.com