Cynnig lefel-A nodweddiadol
BBC-BBB with B in Biology or Human Biology. Candidates taking a science A level with an associated practical skills assessment will also be required to pass the practical component.
Hyd y Cwrs
Kick start your career and enhance your employability prospects with our BSc Genetics with integrated year in industry at Aberystwyth University. If you are fascinated by genetics, and want to tackle important scientific issues like the genetic modification of organisms, or genetic prediction of human disease, then this is the scheme for you!
Athrofa Gwyddorau Biolegol, Amgylcheddol a Gwledig (IBERS): 91% boddhad myfyrwyr (ACF 2017)
97% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio, 3% yn uwch na graddedigion y Gwyddorau Biolegol yn genedlaethol, (HESA 2017)
Why study Genetics at Aberystwyth University?
- Study in a University that’s in the top 5 in the UK and 1st in Wales for student satisfaction (NSS,2017)
- The syllabus of this course with the integrated year in industry is identical to its sister course BSc Genetics (C400).Your work experience must be relevant to this degree as it will be assessed and will count towards your degree grade.
- You will organise your work experience under the guidance of our Director for Employability. There is no guarantee that the work experience will be paid. If you cannot obtain a placement, you must transfer to the sister course BSc Genetics C400).
- During your year in work experience, you will pay a discounted tuition fee, the information for which can be found here.
- You will be taught by enthusiastic teaching experts, whom you may have already seen on TV documentaries or heard on your favourite radio shows.
- You will learn and live in an exceptional environment where you will be surrounded by a great diversity of beautiful environments, including marine, moorland, mountain, waterways, grassland and coast.
- The Cambrian Mountains is a backdrop and just a stone’s throw away from Cardigan Bay and its bottle-nose dolphins. We place great emphasis upon practical skills, so that our graduates become practitioners from the word go.
- We have extensive research and teaching labs equipped with state-of-the-art equipment, including bioimaging facilities, high-throughput DNA sequencing, proteomics, metabolomics, phenomics and spectroscopic platforms.
- You will explore scientific topics that will broaden your knowledge of biology, chemistry, microbiology, cell biology and biochemistry.
- The subject is taught by experts within an internationally recognised centre of excellence.
- You will learn in an Institute which has won the Queen’s Anniversary Prize for Higher and Further Education.
- We ensure that our graduates have the skills to communicate their science effectively, so that they can join the often controversial genetics debates.
Mae gan y rhan fwyaf o staff dysgu Athrofa'r Gwyddorau Biolegol, Amgylcheddol a Gwledig gymwysterau hyd at safon PhD ac maent yn ymchwilwyr gweithgar. Hefyd, mae gan staff y cyrsiau galwedigaethol gefndir ym myd diwydiant. Mae yn yr Athrofa nifer fawr o staff sy'n gwneud ymchwil yn unig ac mae'n bosib y bydd y myfyrwyr yn dod i gysylltiad â hwy.
Noder: Y modiwlau a restrir isod yw'r modiwlau y bwriedir eu cyflwyno ar hyn o bryd yn ystod y flwyddyn academaidd nesaf ac mae'n bosibl y gallant newid. Maent wedi'u cynnwys yma i roi syniad o strwythur y cwrs.
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
What opportunities are there for me?
Some of our recent graduates of genetics have moved on to become:
- Genetic Technologist at Liverpool Women’s Hospital;
- Clinical Scientist at Birmingham Women’s Hospital;
- Research Scientist at the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory;
- Post-doctoral research Associate at the University of Manchester;
- MSc student in Developmental Biology at the University of Bath;
- PhD student at the University of Leicester.
Your year in industry:
In the 2016 Highflyers reports, 32% of graduate vacancies are taken by those who have previously worked for a company on a placement or/ a internship. Make no mistake, you will develop confidence and gaining experience in the industry will stimulate your enthusiasm for the subject.
Completing a year in industry will allow you to:
- Apply the learning from your course to the work environment;
- Make industry contacts;
- Develop practical skills related to your area of study;
- Apply your practical skills and technical knowledge after returning to study;
- Enhance your CV and better prepare yourself for a job after graduating.
Students on this scheme should note that the department institute does not have automatic placements for every applicant. You will be responsible for finding securing the work experience, however, you will have the assistance of our institute Work Experience Coordinator and our dedicated careers advisor (James Cuffe, firstname.lastname@example.org). If you fail to find work experience you will be able to convert your course to the three-year version of your subject.
Addysg a Dysgu
What will I learn?
Studying Genetics at Aberystwyth University will allow you to discover the following:
- Cell biology;
- Proteins and enzymes;
- Chromosome genetics;
- Gene expression and development;
- Evolution and population genetics;
You will also receive expert tuition in the following;
- Scientific protocol;
- Hands-on lab work;
- Experimental methodology for recording, interpreting and reporting data.
How will I be taught?
We deliver our course through lectures, seminars, practicals and field work.
We assess our students through:
- Practical exercises;
- Oral presentations;
You may also be required to complete additional assignments and work with others on particular tasks.
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
The lectures, seminars and the Institute’s supportive staff will greatly assist you in your biological training. You will also benefit from the many opportunities within the Institute and the university to develop your academic rigour and professionalism so that, upon graduation, you are perfectly positioned for the next stage of your career.
Gofynion Mynediad Nodweddiadol
Lefel A BBC-BBB with B in Biology or Human Biology. Candidates taking a science A level with an associated practical skills assessment will also be required to pass the practical component.
Gofynion TGAU (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics and a Science subject
Diploma Cenedlaethol BTEC:
30 points overall with 5 points in Biology at Higher Level
65-70% overall with 75% in specified subject
Ystyrir ymgeiswyr yn ôl eu rhinweddau unigol a gall y cynigion amrywio. Am ragor o wybodaeth, cysylltwch ag: email@example.com