Cynnig lefel-A nodweddiadol
BBC-BBB with B in Biology or Human Biology. Candidates taking a science A level with an associated practical skills assessment will also be required to pass the practical component.
Hyd y Cwrs
Our Human Biology and Health scheme has been developed to reflect the diverse expertise and research activity of staff within the Institute of Biological, Environmental and Rural Sciences and at the same time enhance your career prospects with the our integrated year in industry. The scheme provides you with the opportunity to study a range of biological disciplines including physiology, microbiology, immunology and genetics, coupling these disciplines with the study of human biomechanics and psychology. The curriculum allows you to develop a sound understanding of the main conditions that influence human health and apply the knowledge to industry in the 21st century.
Athrofa Gwyddorau Biolegol, Amgylcheddol a Gwledig (IBERS): 91% boddhad myfyrwyr (ACF 2017)
97% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio, 3% yn uwch na graddedigion y Gwyddorau Biolegol yn genedlaethol, (DLHE 2017)
Why study Human and Health Biology at Aberystwyth University?
- You will study in a University that is ranked top 4 in the UK and 1st in Wales for student satisfaction (NSS, 2016).
- The syllabus of this course with the integrated year in industry is identical to its sister course (C194), however you will have an additional year of funding to undertake and complete your year in industry. Your work experience must be relevant to this degree and the year is assessed which will count towards your degree grade.
- Students will have to organise their work experience under the guidance of our Director for Employability. There is no guarantee that the work experience will be paid. If you cannot obtain a placement you must transfer to its sister course (C194).
- During your year in work experience, you will pay a discounted tuition fee of which the information can be found here.
Students on this course will be able to explore the specialist areas of Human and Health Biology which include:
- Facilities for high-throughput DNA sequencing, proteomics, metabolomics and spectroscopic platforms.
- Application of psychology to understand the process of behaviour change and its relevance to delay the development of chronic conditions including heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
- Our modern physiological, biomechnical and psychological equipment including: body scanning for bone health and body composition determination, cardiovascular, respiratory and metabolic analysers, high-performance treadmills, cycles and rowers, along with computer based digital video and a force plate to allow sophisticated analysis of movement.
- You will be taught by passionate, engaged, friendly and staff with expertise across the full range of Biological topics.
- Your academic studies will be bolstered by a wealth of laboratory and field classes which build real scientific skills essential for your future.
- Our teaching and E-learning facilities provide you with an outstanding learning experience integrating the classroom sessions and vast repository of study resources.
- You will be assigned a personal tutor who can guide you through your time at Aberystwyth and help you to settle in when you first arrive.
- We have invested heavily and over a number of years in our research facilities, and project students may get the opportunity to work in the research units on Penglais, or in our dedicated research facility at Gogerddan just outside Aberystwyth.
Mae gan y rhan fwyaf o staff dysgu Athrofa'r Gwyddorau Biolegol, Amgylcheddol a Gwledig gymwysterau hyd at safon PhD ac maent yn ymchwilwyr gweithgar. Hefyd, mae gan staff y cyrsiau galwedigaethol gefndir ym myd diwydiant. Mae yn yr Athrofa nifer fawr o staff sy'n gwneud ymchwil yn unig ac mae'n bosib y bydd y myfyrwyr yn dod i gysylltiad â hwy.
Noder: Y modiwlau a restrir isod yw'r modiwlau y bwriedir eu cyflwyno ar hyn o bryd yn ystod y flwyddyn academaidd nesaf ac mae'n bosibl y gallant newid. Maent wedi'u cynnwys yma i roi syniad o strwythur y cwrs.
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
Human Biology and Health graduates will be equipped with the skills and knowledge to enter a wide range of careers which include:
- Health and allied professions
- This scheme is also a solid foundation for postgraduate research at Masters and PhD level
Your year in industry:
In the 2016 Highflyers report, 32% of graduate vacancies are taken by those who have previously worked for a company on a placement or/ a internship. Make no mistake, you will develop confidence and gaining experience in the industry will stimulate your enthusiasm for the subject.
Completing a year in industry will allow you to:
- Apply the learning from your course to the work environment;
- Make industry contacts;
- Develop practical skills related to your area of study;
- Apply your practical skills and technical knowledge after returning to study;
- Enhance your CV and better prepare yourself for a job after graduating.
Students on this scheme should note that the department institute does not have automatic placements for every applicant. You will be responsible for finding securing the work experience, however, you will have the assistance of our institute Work Experience Coordinator and our dedicated careers adviser (James Cuffe, email@example.com). If you fail to find work experience you will be able to convert your course to the three-year version of your subject.
Addysg a Dysgu
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the four year degree scheme.
In your first year:
- Students are taught the important content which underpin human biology and health, which will provide a sound foundation on which year 2 and 3 can be built upon. Topics may include:
- Exercise psychology,
- Exercise physiology,
- Human anatomy,
- Microbial diversity
In your second year:
- Students study research methods
- Exercise physiology
- Students can look at health from the perspective of improving health and performance
- Sport injury
- Proteins and enzymes
- You may also learn the practical methods for exploring these topics independently.
In your third year you will undertake your work experience which will be relevant to your degree in Human and Health Biology. If you cannot obtain your work experience then you will transfer to its sister course BSc Human and Health Biology, C194.
In your final year:
- Students will undertake an independent project as well as being taught:
- Molecular pharmacology
- Managing chronic diseases such as diabetes or obesity;
- Various optional modules are also available to suit the interests of the student.
How will I be taught?
We teach our students in through lectures, workshops, tutorials and practicals.
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries.
We assess our students through;
- Practical exercises
- Oral presentations
- Statistical exercises
- Reflective diaries
- Literature reviews
- Magazine articles
Gofynion Mynediad Nodweddiadol
Lefel A BBC-BBB with B in Biology or Human Biology. Candidates taking a science A level with an associated practical skills assessment will also be required to pass the practical component.
Gofynion TGAU (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics and a Science subject
Diploma Cenedlaethol BTEC:
30 points overall with 5 points in Biology at Higher Level
65-70% overall with 75% in specified subject
Ystyrir ymgeiswyr yn ôl eu rhinweddau unigol a gall y cynigion amrywio. Am ragor o wybodaeth, cysylltwch ag: firstname.lastname@example.org