Cynnig lefel-A nodweddiadol
ABC with A in Mathematics and B in Physics, or BBB with B in Physics and B in Mathematics
Hyd y Cwrs
In choosing to study the Mathematical and Theoretical Physics Degree (F340) at Aberystwyth University you will develop your understanding of the more theoretical parts of Physics, replacing an experimental approach to physics with a solid grounding in Mathematics. This combination of Mathematics and Physics links to many spheres of interest, and students studying this diverse subject are very much in demand with employers.
Adran Ffiseg: 91% boddhad myfyrwyr (ACF 2017)
Aeth 85% o’n graddedigion i swyddi ar lefel broffesiynol, 21% yn uwch na graddedigion y Gwyddorau Ffisegol yn genedlaethol. (HESA 2017)
Ar y brig ym Mhrydain am ansawdd y dysgu ym maes Mathemateg. (The Good University Guide 2018, The Times & Sunday Times).
Adran Mathemateg: 3ydd yn y DU am fodlonrwydd myfyrwyr am ddysgu ar y pynciau Mathemateg ac Ystadegyn (ACF 2017)
93% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio, 1% yn uwch na graddedigion Mathemateg yn genedlaethol (HESA 2017)
Why study Mathematics and Physics at Aberystwyth?
- Mathematics and Physics have been taught at Aberystwyth since the foundation of the university in 1872, making the university the first in Wales to teach these subjects. Recent investment of several million pounds in teaching and research has ensured that we continue to innovate and provide a stimulating learning environment for a growing body of mathematics and physics students from all over the world.
- In studying this degree programme in Mathematics and Physics you will divide your time equally between these two highly complementary academic disciplines in two departments which are making ground-breaking advances in research and innovation.
- Study in a top 4 UK University and 1st in Wales for student satisfaction (NSS, 2016).
- The Department of Mathematics maintained its position as one of the best departments in Wales in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF, 2014). All of our research and the impact it has outside universities, was judged to be of international standard."
- Our Physics lecturers are also researchers working at the cutting edge of their respective fields, so you can be confident that your learning experience will be informed by the latest specialist knowledge along with advanced instrumentation, modelling and techniques.
- Researchers from the department of Physics are involved in the current European Space Agency ExoMars 2020 project, and they are engineering low dimensional materials i.e. graphene.
- This course is accredited by the IMA, the UK’s learned and professional society for mathematics and its applications.
- The Departments of Mathematics and Physics are at the forefront of Welsh-medium provision in these subjects at higher education level in Wales. Check out the module tab for more information.
Mae gan bob un o ddarlithwyr yr Adran Ffiseg gymwysterau hyd at safon PhD a hanes o wneud gwaith ymchwil yn eu meysydd arbenigol.
Mae’r holl ddarlithwyr yn yr Adran Mathemateg wedi’u cymhwyso i lefel PhD ac yn weithgar ym myd ymchwil. Mae gan y rhan fwyaf gymhwyster addysgu uwchraddedig ac mae’n rhaid i staff newydd gwblhau’r TUAAU. Mae’r adran hefyd yn cyflogi nifer o diwtoriaid rhan-amser, sydd â phrofiad dysgu eang, a rhai arddangoswyr sy’n cael eu dewis o blith ein myfyrwyr israddedig ac uwchraddedig.
Noder: Y modiwlau a restrir isod yw'r modiwlau y bwriedir eu cyflwyno ar hyn o bryd yn ystod y flwyddyn academaidd nesaf ac mae'n bosibl y gallant newid. Maent wedi'u cynnwys yma i roi syniad o strwythur y cwrs.
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
Graduates in Mathematics and Physics are highly valued by employers for their skills in numeracy and problem-solving.
Graduates of Mathematics and Physics could enter careers such as:
- Scientific writing and publishing
- Risk analysis
- Operational Research
- Business consultancy
- Medical physics
- Accounting and Finance
Studying for a degree in Mathematical and Theoretical Physics will equip you with a range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers. These include:
• research and data analysis skills
• enhanced mathematical and computational skills
• effective problem-solving and creative thinking skills
• a thorough grounding in information technology skills
• the ability to work independently
• time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines
• the ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form
• self-motivation and self-reliance
• team-working, with the ability to discuss concepts in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching agreement
Work experience opportunities
The department supports students seeking voluntary work, particularly in the teaching of mathematics in all sectors. Further information can be obtained from the department.
Addysg a Dysgu
What will you learn?
This course will develop your understanding of a wide range of theories and processes in Mathematics and Physics and will teach you to apply the techniques you have learnt in order to solve problems and explore research questions.
- The first two years of the course consist predominantly of modules covering a wide range of themes in algebra, calculus, differential equations, quantum mechanics, dynamics and thermal physics.
- As well as your core third year modules, you will have a wide choice from both Mathematics and Physics, allowing you to tailor the course to suit your own interests.
- Students may choose, at the end of their second year, to switch to the four year course in Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, subject to satisfactory academic performance, leading to an MMath qualification.
How will you be taught?
- This course will be taught predominantly through lectures but students will also attend example classes – in which you work through problems under the supervision of a lecturer – and small-group tutorials and workshops. These interactive learning environments allow you to check your understanding and receive feedback. Assessment methods will include exams, coursework and continuous assessment. You may choose to undertake an individual project in your final year, which requires you to carry out independent research on a problem of your choice and to disseminate the results through written and oral reports. This option is particularly relevant to students who intend to go on to further study and pursue a research career.
- You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
- You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
Barn ein Myfyrwyr
- Aber made quite an impact on me with its quiet location and friendly atmosphere, and I was fortunate enough to be offered a place studying Mathematical and Theoretical Physics. The course was fantastic, primarily due to the interaction with lecturers being open and friendly, and also due to the variety of module options available. I completed two extremely interesting projects, one of which developed out of my interest in composite materials and the possible uses in Formula 1 racing. Aberystwyth has been a fantastic environment to study in, while also providing lots of ways to relax and make friends. It is only a short journey beyond Constitution hill or Pen Dinas to be somewhere completely peaceful and incredibly beautiful. In my first year I took up archery and continued to participate throughout my time in Aber. With a multitude of options available, I tried something new each year. After graduating, I began working within the university finance department as part of the AberForward scheme. This is an excellent way to get into a working environment, and to obtain business-related training. I will then start work with QA Consulting, which provides consultancy services to help develop software for commercial, financial and governmental organisations. After completing software training in Manchester, I plan to work throughout the UK on various projects. My advice to anyone starting a degree in Aberystwyth is to relax. Everyone will be happy to help. Make the most of the opportunities available from the moment you get here. Work hard and communicate with lecturers, join clubs and try something new that interests you, and most of all remember to take time to enjoy Aberystwyth for all the reasons you have chosen to come here.
Gofynion Mynediad Nodweddiadol
Lefel A ABC with A in Mathematics and B in Physics, or BBB with B in Physics and B in Mathematics
Gofynion TGAU (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
Diploma Cenedlaethol BTEC:
DMM-DDM with specified subject and B in A level Mathematics
28-30 points overall with 4-5 points in Physics and 4-5 points in Mathematics at Higher Level
70% points overall with 60% in Physics and 75% in Mathematics at Higher Level
Ystyrir ymgeiswyr yn ôl eu rhinweddau unigol a gall y cynigion amrywio. Am ragor o wybodaeth, cysylltwch ag: firstname.lastname@example.org