Cynnig lefel-A nodweddiadol
ABC with A in Mathematics and B in Physics, or BBB with B in Mathematics and B in Physics
Hyd y Cwrs
You will discover the core elements of each subject area and acquire a firm knowledge of the mathematical and numerical skills that will be important to your understanding of physical concepts and natural phenomena.
Graduates of Mathematics and Physics are in significant demand across many industries such as engineering, technology and finance.
Ar y brig ym Mhrydain am ansawdd y dysgu ym maes Mathemateg. (The Good University Guide 2018, The Times & Sunday Times).
100% boddhad myfyrwyr am yr adran Mathemateg. (ACF 2018).
96% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio, 4% yn uwch na graddedigion y Gwyddorau Mathemategol yn genedlaethol. (HESA 2018*)
Adran Ffiseg: 90% boddhad myfyrwyr ym maes pwnc Ffiseg a Seryddiaeth (ACF 2018)
93% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio. (HESA 2018*).
Why study Mathematics and Physics at Aberystwyth?
- Mathematics and Physics have been taught at Aberystwyth University since 1872, making the university the first in Wales to teach these subjects. On this dually-accredited degree course you will divide your time equally between these two highly-complementary academic disciplines in departments which are making ground-breaking advances in research and innovation
- The Department of Mathematics maintained its position as one of the best departments in Wales in the most recent Research Excellence Framework (REF2014). All of our research and the impact it has outside universities, was judged to be of international standard
- The Departments of Mathematics and Physics are at the forefront of Welsh-medium provision in these subjects at higher education level in Wales. Check out the module tab for more information
Mae’r holl ddarlithwyr yn yr Adran Mathemateg wedi’u cymhwyso i lefel PhD ac yn weithgar ym myd ymchwil. Mae gan y rhan fwyaf gymhwyster addysgu uwchraddedig ac mae’n rhaid i staff newydd gwblhau’r TUAAU. Mae’r adran hefyd yn cyflogi nifer o diwtoriaid rhan-amser, sydd â phrofiad dysgu eang, a rhai arddangoswyr sy’n cael eu dewis o blith ein myfyrwyr israddedig ac uwchraddedig.
Mae gan bob un o ddarlithwyr yr Adran Ffiseg gymwysterau hyd at safon PhD a hanes o wneud gwaith ymchwil yn eu meysydd arbenigol.
Noder: Y modiwlau a restrir isod yw'r modiwlau y bwriedir eu cyflwyno ar hyn o bryd yn ystod y flwyddyn academaidd nesaf ac mae'n bosibl y gallant newid. Maent wedi'u cynnwys yma i roi syniad o strwythur y cwrs.
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
- Complex Analysis
- Electricity and Magnetism
- Linear Algebra
- Mathematical Physics
- Principles of Quantum Mechanics
Graduates in Mathematics and Physics are highly valued by employers for their skills in numeracy and problem-solving.
Graduates of Mathematics and Physics could enter careers such as:
- Scientific writing and publishing
- Risk analysis
- Operational Research
- Business consultancy
- Medical physics
- Accounting and Finance
Studying for a degree in Mathematical and Theoretical Physics will equip you with a range of transferable skills which are highly valued by employers. These include:
- Research and data analysis skills
- Enhanced mathematical and computational skills
- Effective problem-solving and creative thinking skills
- A thorough grounding in information technology skills
- Ability to work independently
- Time-management and organisational skills, including the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner, in both written and oral form
- Self-motivation and self-reliance
- Team-working, with the ability to discuss concepts in groups, accommodating different ideas and reaching agreement
Work experience opportunities
The department supports students seeking voluntary work, particularly in the teaching of mathematics in all sectors. Further information can be obtained from the department.
Addysg a Dysgu
What will I learn?
- This course will develop your understanding of a wide range of theoretical, experimental and computational techniques in Mathematics and Physics, and will teach you to apply the techniques you have learnt in order to solve problems.
- The first two years of the course consist predominantly of modules covering a wide range of themes in algebra, calculus, differential equations, quantum mechanics, dynamics and thermal physics.
- As well as your core third year modules, you will have a wide choice from both Mathematics and Physics, allowing you to tailor the course to suit your own interests. You will also undertake a project in which you will investigate a problem of an experimental, theoretical or computer modelling nature under the supervision of a member of the Physics staff.
How will I be taught?
- You will be taught through a complementary set of teaching and learning methods and approaches, ranging from formal lectures, seminars and tutorials to workshops, practicals and individual and group-based project work.
- You will be assessed through a combination of coursework, continuous assessment, presentations, lab reports, lab diaries, data interpretation and examinations.
- You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
- You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
Barn ein Myfyrwyr
Maths is a great course with really friendly and approachable lecturers. The content is always really interesting, but challenging to the right extent. The whole department works effectively to offer all the facilities needed to gain a good degree. Jennifer O'Neil
Everyday Physics enhances your understanding of the universe and everything we experience. Passionate scientists inform you of their contributions to science at the forefront of physics. Your time is split between gaining hands-on laboratory experience using exciting equipment including lasers, oscilloscopes and spectrometers, and lectures that will inspire and interest you. Each module challenges your intelligence and allows you to gain knowledge that most people benefit from but do not know exists. Students achieve excellence, and stretch their minds. It requires time and effort, but the skills and understanding you gain are second to none. Sarah Chandler
Gofynion Mynediad Nodweddiadol
Lefel A ABC with A in Mathematics and B in Physics, or BBB with B in Mathematics and B in Physics
Gofynion TGAU (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
Diploma Cenedlaethol BTEC:
DMM-DDM with specified subject and B in A level Mathematics
28-30 points overall with 4-5 points in Physics and 4-5 points in Mathematics at Higher Level
70% points overall with 60% in Physics and 75% in Mathematics at Higher Level
Mae'r Brifysgol yn gweithredu polisi derbyn cynhwysol a gall ein cynigion amrywio. Edrychwch ar ein tudalennau gwlad-benodol i gael manylion am y cymwysterau rhyngwladol yr ydym yn eu derbyn. I gael rhagor o wybodaeth, cysylltwch ag firstname.lastname@example.org