Cynnig lefel-A nodweddiadol
Hyd y Cwrs
The BA in Media & Communication Studies at Aberystwyth University explores who controls and owns our media, how media content is produced, and what kind of impact the media has on us as audiences. We will also introduce you to some of the key media and communication theorists and will consider how you can apply their thinking to your own study of media and communications. This degree will allow you to study in great detail the following: media fandom, advertising, news analysis, website design, digital culture, children and the media, surveillance society, language and the media, media history and policy together with creative practice experience in multi -platform production and experimental media. Your three years of study will be dynamic, invigorating and stimulating. Scroll down to find out more!
Adran Astudiaethau Theatr Ffilm a Theledu: 87% boddhad myfyrwyr (ACF 2017)
98% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio, 4% yn uwch na graddedigion y Celfyddydau Creadigol a Dylunio yn genedlaethol. (HESA 2018*)
Why study Media and Communication studies at Aberystwyth?
- You will be taught and mentored by staff who are expert in the field of Media and Communication, have excellent connections to the industry, contribute to national debates on the media, and are at the forefront of research in the field.
- Students on this course will have a deeper understanding of sociology, psychology, cultural studies, history, philosophy, linguistics and marketing.
- Students will be taught in vibrant, modern and dynamic teaching facilities including a brand new PC lab designed to assimilate the digital media industry, digital production and editing suites.
- Our industry links are embedded at the heart of the department with the BBC Wales, regional office and broadcast situated by the entrance.
- Students can exploit full access to the National Sound and Screen Archive of Wales which is a stone’s through away from the Penglais campus.
Mae holl staff academaidd yr Adran Theatr, Ffilm a Theledu yn gwneud gwaith ymchwil a/neu'n ymwneud â phrosiectau Trosglwyddo Gwybodaeth, ac mae ganddynt naill ai gymwysterau academaidd perthnasol ar lefel doethuriaeth neu brofiad proffesiynol ac arbenigedd cyfatebol.
Noder: Y modiwlau a restrir isod yw'r modiwlau y bwriedir eu cyflwyno ar hyn o bryd yn ystod y flwyddyn academaidd nesaf ac mae'n bosibl y gallant newid. Maent wedi'u cynnwys yma i roi syniad o strwythur y cwrs.
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
What opportunities are there for me?
Many of our graduates have found career paths which include:
- Broadcasting media;
- Floor managers;
- Camera operators;
- Producers and directors;
- Media Planning;
- Public relations.
What will I get from my degree?
Employability is at the heart of our teaching. We encourage our students by:
- Inviting guest speakers to our campus;
- Taking part in activities by the Media Skills Academy and Creative Skillset of which we are a member and accredited by;
- Obtaining work experience with the BBC, Fiction Factory and Boom Pictures;
- On completion of this degree, our students become;
- Effective communicators;
- Able to work independently and as part of a team;
- Experience in industrial equipment such as three camera high definition digital television studios, over 40 high definition digital video cameras and digital and video projection facilities.
What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Click here to find out about the various opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Addysg a Dysgu
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three year degree scheme.
In your first year you may explore:
- Relationship between media forms, media institutions and society;
- The links between established media theory and contemporary approaches to new media;
- The links between classic and contemporary debates in communication;
- The research relating to modes of communication between radio, press, advertising, mobile phone technologies and the internet;
- Key concepts and techniques of media production, directing, cinematography, editing.
In your second you may discover:
- Specific histories, traditions and roles to each medium;
- Television production;
- Broadcasting history;
- Experimental media production;
- Website design;
- Surveillance technologies;
In your final year you may have the opportunity to:
- Produce, direct, edit a short video which can be experimental, documentary or narrative fiction;
- The best work will be entered for the Royal Television Society Student Video Awards.
How will I be taught?
Our programme is taught by lecture- workshops allowing for the best interaction and active engagement. In addition, we deliver this programme through seminars, group-based project work, screenings and technical demonstrations
You will be assessed through:
- Group-devised productions;
- Individual film and video projects;
- Research projects;
- Practical analyses;
- Production diaries;
- Creative scriptwriting;
- Formal essays;
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance, and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
Barn ein Myfyrwyr
I have chosen this course as I have always been interested in global media and international relations. Studying Media at Aberystwyth University has developed my knowledge of these fascinating areas. Thanks to this complex programme which covers various topics connected with media and the sphere of communication I've improved my skills in the field of journalism and advertising. Long hours spent doing research for essays were not wasted. Modules such as Advertising were purely amazing in terms of broadening my knowledge of this exciting field as well as developing my own creativity in designing advertising campaigns. This course was a pleasure, not a duty for me. It's perfect for those with 100 ideas/min. The approach to students is unconventional here - it's all about clever thinking! Agata Monika Kielek
Communication is a course that it is an interesting one, even though it may sound a bit dull. Through lectures we talk about things that makes you snap your fingers and say: 'That was so obvious, but still no-one was conscious about it'. I love the fact that we are able to analyze the way our eye moves when we were asked a question about a photograph. What does the eye look for when asked the question: 'When was this photo taken?'. Sounds simple, but it's a totally new way of seeing ordinary things. All in all, the course is amazing, the teacher is amazing and makes everything interactive. As an international student I was able to understand him and the message he wanted to transmit to his students every week. I could call this course simple, but complicated; or in one word, lovely. Andrada Florentina Dumitrescu
Gofynion Mynediad Nodweddiadol
Lefel A BBC-BBB
Gofynion TGAU (grade C min):
English or Welsh
Diploma Cenedlaethol BTEC:
28-30 points overall
Mae'r Brifysgol yn gweithredu polisi derbyn cynhwysol a gall ein cynigion amrywio. Edrychwch ar ein tudalennau gwlad-benodol i gael manylion am y cymwysterau rhyngwladol yr ydym yn eu derbyn. I gael rhagor o wybodaeth, cysylltwch ag email@example.com