Cynnig lefel-A nodweddiadol
BBB-ABB with B in any English-related A level
Hyd y Cwrs
Gwybodaeth ar gyfer mynediad ym mis Medi 2019 sydd ar y dudalen hon. I weld gwybodaeth am 2020, gan gynnwys y graddau gofynnol, edrychwch yn ein prosbectws.
The BA in Media and Creative Writing and Aberystwyth University enables you to learn the strategic and structural components of the media industry while at the same time pursuing, improving and developing your creative writing skills. The Creative Writing component of this degree will enable you to focus on the craft of writing, poetry, fiction, non-fiction, screen plays and more. You will also develop the critical and analytical skills necessary for a career in a broad array of creative industry. In addition, the Media component of this course will provide you the opportunity to widen your knowledge and explore who controls and owns our media, how content is produced and what kind of impact the media has on the audiences. The Media and Creative Writing degree scheme will provide you with a solid foundation to develop your powers of expression, hone your critical thinking and establish specialist knowledge and research skills.
Bodlonrwydd Myfyrwyr Cyffredinol a Chanlyniadau Cyflogadwyedd
Ymhlith y 15 uchaf yn y DU am Ansawdd y Dysgu ym maes Drama a Dawns (Canllaw Prifysgolion Da y 'Times' a'r 'Sunday Times' 2019).
95% o’n myfyrwyr yn cytuno bod y staff yn esbonio pethau'n dda yn yr Adran Astudiaethau Theatr, Ffilm a Theledu. (ACF 2019)
98% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio, 4% yn uwch na graddedigion y Celfyddydau Creadigol a Dylunio yn genedlaethol. (HESA 2018*)
Ymhlith y 10 uchaf yn y DU am Ansawdd y Dysgu a Phrofiad Myfyrwyr ym maes Saesneg (Canllaw Prifysgolion Da y 'Times' a'r 'Sunday Times' 2019).
93% boddhad cyffredinol myfyrwyr yn yr Adran Saesneg ac Ysgrifennu Creadigol. (ACF 2019)
96% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio, 2% yn uwch na graddedigion Ieithoedd yn genedlaethol. (HESA 2018)
Why study BA Media and Creative Writing at Aberystwyth University?
• Taught by two departments (the Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies and the Department of English and Creative Writing) you will have an opportunity to study in great detail the following: media fandom, advertising, news analysis, website design, digital culture, children and the media, surveillance society, language and the media, media history and policy together with the exploration of the connections between creative and critical thinking and develop a deep understanding of the relationship between professional practice and imaginative thought.
• The Creative Writing component of this course will enable you to engage with a variety of approaches to literature and cultural history, combining critical thinking with scholarship. During the duration of this course, the various core and optional modules will give you an insight into literary theory, philosophical and conceptual ideas that inform, challenge and problematise the ways we read.
• The various core and optional modules available to you during the duration of this course will give you a deeper understanding of sociology, psychology, cultural studies, history, philosophy, linguistics and marketing.
• At Aberystwyth University, our students benefit from our strategic closeness to the National Library of Wales. This is a copyright library which houses every book that has been published in the United Kingdom. In addition, it also home to National Sound and Screen Archive in Wales which is a valuable resource to your research.
• On the University campus, our facilities include the Hugh Owen Library which is open 24/7, the Students’ Union, the Sports Centre and the Arts Centre which has close and deep links with the departments of Theatre, Film and Television Studies and the department of English and Creative Writing. The multitude of facilities on Penglais campus ensures that your student experience is memorable and exceptional.
• The Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies has strong links with external industry, these include the BBC Wales which houses it regional office in the heart of the Department, Boom Cymru, Avanti, Arad Goch and the Mid-Wales Arts Centre. The Department itself is modern, vibrant and has all the latest teaching facilities that media student requires, this includes a brand-new PC lab designed to assimilate the digital media industry, digital production and editing suits, a viewing cinema, a television studio and modern learning spaces.
Mae holl staff academaidd yr Adran Theatr, Ffilm a Theledu yn gwneud gwaith ymchwil a/neu'n ymwneud â phrosiectau Trosglwyddo Gwybodaeth, ac mae ganddynt naill ai gymwysterau academaidd perthnasol ar lefel doethuriaeth neu brofiad proffesiynol ac arbenigedd cyfatebol.
Noder: Y modiwlau a restrir isod yw'r modiwlau y bwriedir eu cyflwyno ar hyn o bryd yn ystod y flwyddyn academaidd nesaf ac mae'n bosibl y gallant newid. Maent wedi'u cynnwys yma i roi syniad o strwythur y cwrs.
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
|Teitl y Modiwl||Cod y Modiwl||Gwerth Credyd|
|Writing Short Stories||WR10520||20|
|Teitl y Modiwl||Cod y Modiwl||Gwerth Credyd|
|American Literature 1819-1925||EN11220||20|
|Greek And Roman Epic And Drama||CL10120||20|
|Introduction To Media Production (semester 2)||FM10520||20|
|Introduction To Poetry||WR10420||20|
|Literature And The Sea||WL11420||20|
|Re-imagining Nineteenth-century Literature||WL10120||20|
|Reading For Writers||WR10020||20|
|The Beginning Of The English Language||EN11520||20|
|To Boldly Go: Reading Star Trek||EN10320||20|
What opportunities are there for me?
Many of our graduates have found career paths which include:
• Broadcasting media;
• Floor managers;
• Camera operators;
• Producers and directors;
• Media Planning;
• Public relations.
What will I get from my degree?
Employability is at the heart of our teaching. We encourage our students by:
• Inviting guest speakers to our campus;
• Obtaining work experience with the BBC, Fiction Factory and Boom Pictures;
On completion of this degree, our students become:
• Effective communicators;
• Able to work independently and as part of a team;
• Experience in industrial equipment such as three camera high definition digital television studios, over 40 high definition digital video cameras and digital and video projection facilities.
What work experience opportunities exist whilst studying?
Discover more about the various employment opportunities that our Aberystwyth University Careers team offer.
Enhance your employability prospects with GO Wales and YES (Year in Employment Scheme) managed by our Careers department.
Addysg a Dysgu
What will I learn?
The breakdown below will provide you with an illustration of what you may study during the three-year degree scheme.
In your first year you may explore:
• Relationship between media forms, media institutions and society;
• A range of techniques for writing and reading fiction and poetry;
• Modes of descriptive writing which include the importance of plot, the use of dialogue;
• Poetry, prose, drama, American Literature, adaptations, classical literature, contemporary writing, medial texts and much more;
• The links between established media theory and contemporary approaches to new media;
• The links between classic and contemporary debates in communication;
• The research relating to modes of communication between radio, press, advertising, mobile phone technologies and the internet;
• Key concepts and techniques of media production, directing, cinematography, editing.
In your second you may discover:
• Specific histories, traditions and roles to each medium;
• The theoretical approaches to and the practice of literary criticism;
• Your own writing style which will be informed by your reading and research;
• Television production;
• Television history;
• A variety of ways and theoretical approaches to textual analysis;
• Experimental media production;
• Website design;
• Surveillance technologies;
In your final year you may have the opportunity to:
• Produce, direct, edit a short video which can be experimental, documentary or narrative fiction;
• Theory for writers and the application of theoretical perspectives, the production and critical evaluation of your own work;
• Extended writing and independent research in your final year dissertation project (on a topic chosen and defined by you);
• Your own specialisms drawn from a diverse range of option modules taught by researchers in those fields. Our option modules include topics such as Elizabethan drama, the ghost story, the early English novel, queer fiction, children’s literature, Romanticism, and much more.
• In your final year you will have the opportunity to take part in a writing retreat at a country house in mid Wales - an amazing opportunity to spend time with fellow students and staff, developing your final year projects and dissertations, in a splendid rural setting.
• The best work will be entered for the Royal Television Society Student Video Awards.
How will I be taught?
Our programme is taught by lecture- workshops allowing for the best interaction and active engagement. In addition, we deliver this programme through seminars, group-based project work, screenings and technical demonstrations
You will be assessed through:
• Group-devised productions;
• Individual film and video projects;
• Research projects;
• Practical analyses;
• Production diaries;
• Creative scriptwriting;
• Formal essays;
You will be assigned a personal tutor throughout your degree course, who will help you with any problems or queries, whether these are academic-related or personal issues. You should feel free to contact them at any time for help and advice.
You will also have the opportunity to complete a Personal Development Plan (PDP) at Aberystwyth. This is a structured process of self-appraisal, reflection, and planning, which will enable you to chart your personal, academic and professional development throughout your time at university. By recording your academic performance and highlighting the skills you already have and those you will need for future employability, the PDP portfolio will equip you with the necessary tools to plan effectively, develop successful approaches to study, and consider your future career options and aspirations.
Gofynion Mynediad Nodweddiadol
Lefel A BBB-ABB with B in any English-related A level
Gofynion TGAU (grade C min):
Grade C min: English or Welsh
Diploma Cenedlaethol BTEC:
DMM-DDM with specified subject
30 points overall with 6 points in any English-related subject at Higher Level
65% overall with 70% in specified subject
Mae'r Brifysgol yn gweithredu polisi derbyn cynhwysol a gall ein cynigion amrywio. Edrychwch ar ein tudalennau gwlad-benodol i gael manylion am y cymwysterau rhyngwladol yr ydym yn eu derbyn. I gael rhagor o wybodaeth, cysylltwch ag email@example.com