Cynnig lefel-A nodweddiadol
BBC with B in any subject
Hyd y Cwrs
The BSc Psychology with Counselling degree at Aberystwyth University combines the study of core psychological knowledge with the academic foundations of counselling. As part of this, you will be introduced to a range of therapeutic approaches and techniques, including person-centred, cognitive-behavioural and psychodynamic approaches to counselling. As a student on this course, you will take a hands-on, reflective approach to your learning and development. You will develop practical research skills, including qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis, and specialist counselling-related skills, which you will develop through practical sessions, role play and one-to-one supervision across the scheme.
Bodlonrwydd Myfyrwyr Cyffredinol a Chanlyniadau Cyflogadwyedd
2il yn y DU am Ansawdd y Dysgu ym maes Seicoleg (Canllaw Prifysgolion Da y 'Times' a'r 'Sunday Times' 2019).
Adran Seicoleg: 95% boddhad myfyrwyr (ACF 2018)
96% o’n graddedigion mewn gwaith a/neu astudiaethau pellach o fewn chwe mis ar ôl graddio, 1% yn uwch na graddedigion Seicoleg yn genedlaethol. (HESA 2018*)
Why should you choose our Psychology with Counselling degree scheme?
- Our BSc Psychology with Counselling is accredited by the British Psychological Society and confers on students who graduate with a minimum of a 2:2 the Graduate Basis for Chartered (GBC) Membership of the BPS, an indicator of quality and a pre-requisite for many post-graduate and professional training courses.
- You should choose this course if you are looking to develop your skills, knowledge, and understanding of Psychology and how it can be applied in a practical way to counselling. You should also choose this course if you are looking for a course that is accredited by the BPS. Please note: this is an academic course, not a professional counselling course.
- Student Satisfaction
At Aberystwyth, we work with you to help you become informed and curious thinkers. We use our teaching and research experience to inspire you and to give you the skills and confidence to do whatever you wish to do in the future. This is why, in 2017, the department was rated as “1st in Wales and 3rd in the UK for student satisfaction” (NSS 2017).
- Equipping you for life
All our degree schemes are designed with employability in mind and are accredited by the British Psychological Society – perfect for graduate-level careers or access to postgraduate training. “96% of our graduates are in work or further study within 6 months of graduation, 4% more than Psychology graduates nationally” (HESA 2018)
- Friendly and Inclusive
It is important for you to study in a supportive, student-focused environment. Our staff work hard to provide the guidance and encouragement you will need, which is why we ranked 1st for “Academic Support” across the UK (NSS, 2017).
- Exceptional Resources
The department’s modern research facilities and outstanding student learning spaces are in addition to excellent central university facilities. These resources allow us to provide you with an innovative approach to learning and teaching and helped us rank “2nd in the UK for Learning Resources” (NSS 2017)
- Welsh Language
If you are a Welsh-speaker you have the opportunity to continue part of your studies in Welsh. You’ll find bilingual staff in Psychology who will support you in your work, and who can guide your university experience in Welsh.
Mae holl staff dysgu'r Adran Seicoleg yn gwneud gwaith ymchwil ac mae gan bob un o’r staff parhaol gymwysterau hyd at safon PhD, ac mae gan y rhan fwyaf TUAAU neu maent yn gymrodyr/cymrodyr uwch o'r academi addysg uwch. Mae gan dros hanner y staff hefyd gymhwyster CPsychol, sy'n dynodi safon uchaf y Gymdeithas Seicoleg Brydeinig o ran gwybodaeth ac arbenigedd mewn seicoleg.
Our BSc Psychology with Counselling is an excellent foundation if you are considering a career in the social care or helping professions. The BPS accreditation will enable access to postgraduate and professional training in clinical and counselling psychology.
Students from the department have progressed to a wide range of careers which include:
- Clinical, Educational, Occupational, Sports and Exercise psychology;
- Psychotherapy and Counselling;
- Social Work;
- Health Care;
- Human Resources;
- Careers Advisory Service;
- Marketing, Publishing, Advertising.
The skills you learn whilst studying here are highly sought after by employers and include:
- Research and Data analysis skills;
- Effective problem-solving skills;
- The ability to work independently and present material clearly and effectively;
- The ability to express ideas and communicate information in a clear and structured manner;
- Self-motivation and independence;
- Teamwork and project management skills;
- Information technology skills.
Addysg a Dysgu
What you will study?
You will cover core areas of psychological knowledge required for BPS accreditation. These include research methods, cognitive, social, biological, developmental and individual differences. You will also complete a counselling-related research project in your third year.
During your first year, you will be introduced to the core concepts, themes and approaches within psychology which include:
- Individuals, groups and behaviour
- Professional development and organisational behaviour
- Research methods and statistics, including quantitative and qualitative methods
- Brain, behaviour and cognition
- Conceptual and historical issues in Psychology
You will also be introduced to key counselling related knowledge and skills:
- Counselling and the counselling relationship
- Introduction to psychotherapeutic approaches
- Basic counselling skills
- Ethical and reflective practice for counsellors
- Evidence-based practice in counselling
During your second and third year you will:
- Develop your understanding and use of qualitative and quantitative research methods and analysis techniques
- Deepen your understanding of core domains in Psychology, including cognitive, neuroscience, developmental psychology, individual differences, and social psychology
- Situate key psychological knowledge and apply to domains such as clinical and health psychology
- You will also further develop your counselling related knowledge and skills by engaging in:
- Critical reflective practice in counselling
- Integrative approaches to counselling
- Undertaking an independent counselling-related research project under the guidance of a supervisor
How will I be taught?
Your academic and intellectual development are at the heart of the Aberystwyth Psychology experience. Our staff are committed to a student-focused approach to teaching, making your learning needs a priority in both what we teach and how we teach you. When you join us, you will be assigned a personal tutor who will support you throughout your degree and is there to advise and guide you on a range of academic and personal matters.
From traditional lectures to small group work, we deliver inspirational teaching through a wide variety of different formats. You will also get to apply your knowledge in lab-based workshops and practicals, where you will be able to benefit from our wide range of specialists research equipment and facilities. Your development will be assessed in a broad variety of ways including; traditional exams, essays, wikis, blogs, observations, and presentations.
At Aberystwyth, you can be confident that you will receive the best learning experience at the very forefront of the discipline.
Gofynion Mynediad Nodweddiadol
Lefel A BBC with B in any subject
Gofynion TGAU (grade C min):
English or Welsh, Mathematics
Diploma Cenedlaethol BTEC:
30 points overall
Mae'r Brifysgol yn gweithredu polisi derbyn cynhwysol a gall ein cynigion amrywio. Edrychwch ar ein tudalennau gwlad-benodol i gael manylion am y cymwysterau rhyngwladol yr ydym yn eu derbyn. I gael rhagor o wybodaeth, cysylltwch ag email@example.com