Hyd y Cwrs nodweddiadol
Our LLM in Law will place you in the jobs market armed with impressive expertise in the latest developments in a range of law specialisms. This distance learning course will allow you to tailor your study of law entirely to your needs and interests and direct your own study amid a wide array of options, choosing from areas of law such as the environment, human rights, international business, commerce, and technology.
Why study LLM Law at Aberystwyth University?
- 96.5% of Aberystwyth Law School’s publications were judged to be of an internationally recognised standard or higher in the most recent research assessment – REF 2014
- All members of academic staff in Aberystwyth Law School are active in research and publication and participate in national and international debate and policy-making in legal and related fields
- Aberystwyth is a multinational community. Aberystwyth Law School participates actively in international and European academic networks and frequently hosts visits by academics and experts from other countries
- Expansive research is carried out within the Department across a range of research areas and within a range of research centres. Postgraduates integrate into our research culture through Departmental research seminars and postgraduate conferences
- Over the years a large number of well-known legal academics have taught in Aberystwyth Law School
- Study nearby to the National Library of Wales, one of five UK copyright libraries.
- Benefit from a mature and well-stocked library for Law and Criminology (Thomas Parry Library) and from generous information technology provision
- Aberystwyth University is a top 50 university for research power and intensity – REF 2014
Mae gan staff Adran y Gyfraith a Throseddeg gan mwyaf naill ai gymwysterau hyd at safon PhD neu mae ganddynt brofiad proffesiynol a chymwysterau fel cyfreithwyr wrth eu gwaith. Mae gan lawer o'r staff hefyd gymhwyster dysgu uwchraddedig (Addysg Uwch).
Assessment takes the form of; research proposals including a related bibliographic element, case studies, oral assessments and essays. Each student will complete a Master’s dissertation of 13,000 to 15,000 words which deals with an area of chosen study in the third semester.
An Honours Degree 2:2 (minimum). Degrees in law, the social sciences, or other similar subjects are preferred. Those from other disciplines or with suitable professional experience will be considered on an individual basis.
Equivalent international qualifications are acceptable especially if ECTS evidence is available. Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) and/or Accreditation of Experiential Prior Learning (APEL) are considered on an individual basis according to current University Regulations.
English Language Requirements:
If you have a Bachelor’s degree from a UK University, you do not need to take an English proficiency test.
Non-native English speakers who do not meet this requirement must take a University-recognised test of academic English language proficiency. For further information please see our English Language requirements page.
Please see the tuition fee pages for current tuition fees. Please note that all fees are subject to an annual increase.
Funding opportunities may be available, please check our funding calculator for details.
Noder: Y modiwlau a restrir isod yw'r modiwlau y bwriedir eu cyflwyno ar hyn o bryd yn ystod y flwyddyn academaidd nesaf ac mae'n bosibl y gallant newid. Maent wedi'u cynnwys yma i roi syniad o strwythur y cwrs.
Fe'i cyflwynir yn rhannol neu'n gyflawn drwy gyfrwng yn Saesneg
|Teitl y Modiwl||Cod y Modiwl||Gwerth Credyd|
|Teitl y Modiwl||Cod y Modiwl||Gwerth Credyd|
|Aspects Of Commercial Contracting||LDM0420||20|
|Climate Change Law And Policy||LDM1720||20|
|Contemporary Issues In Food Policy And Law||LDM2320||20|
|Criminology Of International Conflict Personnel||LDM1920||20|
|Democracy And International Law||LDM4920||20|
|Human Rights, Business And The Internet||LDM4020||20|
|Human Rights, Environment And International Business||LDM4820||20|
|International Commercial Law||LDM0720||20|
|International Copyright Law||LDM0520||20|
|International Criminal Law||LDM0620||20|
|International Environmental Law||LDM0820||20|
|International Human Rights Law||LDM1620||20|
|International Humanitarian Law||LDM4220||20|
|International Trade Law||LDM1220||20|
|Law And Gender||LDM2420||20|
|Migration And Asylum Law||LDM4420||20|
|Nature Conservation & Marine Environmental Law||LDM0920||20|
|Philosophy And Sociology Of Human Rights Protection||LDM4520||20|
|Regulation Of Business Cartels||LDM3520||20|
|The Law Relating To E-commerce||LDM2820||20|
This course will be particularly attractive to those seeking careers in transnational corporations, specialist online trading, corporate lobby groups, international law firms, technology companies and a range of governmental and non-governmental organisations.
On this course you will gain a wealth of skills vital for success in legal and more general employment. You will:
• study the cutting-edge developments of many areas of law
• develop a critical appreciation of legal responses to urgent contemporary issues
• master a range of legal methodologies
• learn to quickly assemble, assimilate and interpret a wealth of legal information from a fascinating array of fields
• learn how to deploy your knowledge to assert your expertise and build a winning argument based on your own rigorous research and analysis
• develop your abilities in structuring and communicating complex ideas efficiently
• develop your planning, analysis, presentation, project management and professional independence
• enhance your problem solving and creative thinking skills
• devise and sustain a self-initiated programme of study
• develop study and research skills
• work effectively with others
Addysg a Dysgu
What will I learn?
On this course you have the flexibility to choose from a comprehensive and wide range of optional modules, allowing you to tailor your study to your needs and interests. Whichever modules you take, you will be given a thorough grounding in legal theory and practice to make you ready for the rigorous demands of the modern legal workplace. This study of legal theory is then always balanced with the investigation of an array of fascinating case studies to illuminate your study and put you in touch with an authentic experience of legal cases.
An important part of the course is the writing of a detailed dissertation within a specialism of your choice. Previous LLM students at Aberystwyth have found this opportunity to be invaluable in establishing a successful career.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment for this course is predominantly via written assignments and oral presentations.
Successful submission of the dissertation in the final semester leads to the award of an LLM.