Hyd y Cwrs nodweddiadol
Gofynion Mynediad Nodweddiadol
Gofynion Mynediad 2:1 Bachelors (Honours) degree in a relevant subject area, or equivalent.
English Language Requirements IELTS 6.5 with minimum 5.5 in each component, or equivalent
Gofynion Arall Applicants should submit a full research proposal at the point of applicationYn ôl i'r brig
The main focus of your research degree will be a detailed dissertation, and you will receive regular supervision from specialists within the Department on its planning, creation and writing.
The MPhil normally takes one year of full-time research (two years part-time), after which students complete and submit a dissertation of up to 60,000 words.
The PhD normally takes three years of full-time research (five years part-time), after which students complete and submit a dissertation of 80-100,000 words.
Areas of research include:
- French: historical linguistics; early modern literature and ideas; modern literature; cinema; Anglo-Norman; Romance linguistics; history of travel and travel literature; 20th- and 21st-century French thought, especially existentialism and feminism; (auto-)biography and life-writing; and theoretical approaches to reading.
- German: 20th- and 21st-century German prose; autobiographies and life writing; women’s writing; German-Jewish literature; history and culture; Holocaust texts and translation; German-speaking refugees from National Socialism and especially the Kindertransport; postdramatic theatre and translation; German grammar and language anxiety; new tragic in European theatre and performance.
- Spanish: stylistic comparison of 19th-century Spanish novels; North African comparative colonial literature; cosmopolitanism; geopolitics; landscape; science in Latin American literature and film; gender, identity and nation; cultural legacies of the Falklands/Malvinas conflict; avant-garde; 20th-century Hispanic poetry; women’s cultural practice; and language learning and foreign language anxiety.
Our postgraduates have been researching such topics as:
- Translating René Le Pays's Amitiez, amours, amourettes: rendering travelogues in the language of their destination
- The early 20th-century German women writers Ina Seidel and Vicki Baum
- The translation of audio-visual Holocaust testimony
- Regional Refugee Committee supporting refugees from National Socialism
- Kindertransport autobiographies and fiction
- A comparative analysis of Second Generation Kindertransport in the US and the UK.
Trosolwg o'r Cwrs
Noder: Y modiwlau a restrir isod yw'r modiwlau y bwriedir eu cyflwyno ar hyn o bryd yn ystod y flwyddyn academaidd nesaf ac mae'n bosibl y gallant newid. Maent wedi'u cynnwys yma i roi syniad o strwythur y cwrs.